Tuesday, November 20, 2012

AVOID THE SIN OF DOING NOTHING


Wednesday, November 21, 2012


Today’s readings
Rev 4:1-11; Ps 150:1-6; Luke 19:11-28


Imagine this scene. A man dies and arrives before the Judgment Seat of God. The divine Judge goes through the Book of Life and does not find the man’s name. So He announces to the man that his place is in hell. The man protests, “But what did I do? I did nothing!” “Precisely,” replies God, “that is why you are going to hell.” That man could as well be the servant in today’s parable of the pounds who was given one pound but buried it in a tin can in the backyard.  Read the report of the servant: “And another came, saying, Lord, behold, here is thy pound, which I have kept laid up in a napkin” (Luke 19:20). This servant didn’t maximize the pound given to him. He did nothing. Period! In short, he was lazy. Offer the lazy man an egg, and he’ll want you to peel it for him.
We often think that we sin only by thought, word and deed. We forget a fourth and very important way through which we sin, namely, by omission. In the “I Confess” we say these words: “I have sinned through my own fault, in my thoughts and in my words, in what I have done and in what I have failed to do.” Yet how readily we forget the sin of omission.

Counter

You are visitor since April'08