Sunday, November 25, 2012

GIVE UNTIL IT HURTS




Rev 14:1-5; Ps 24:1-6; Matt 24:42-44; Luke 21:1-4


“Love means to be willing to give until it hurts,” said Mother Teresa of Calcutta. You can give without love but you cannot love without giving. In today’s Gospel we have a role model of giving. “As Jesus looked up, he saw the rich putting their gifts into the temple treasury. He also saw a poor widow put in two very small copper coins. “Truly I tell you,” he said, “this poor widow has put in more than all the others. All these people gave their gifts out of their wealth; but she out of her poverty put in all she had to live on” (Luke 21: 1-4). The widow had no status at all. In this text she is given the status of a giver. Though she had no names we can name her: Donor, Contributor, Generous and Philanthropist. She gave till generosity was hurting her. Nevertheless, she didn’t become bankrupt. Remember the spiritual law of abundance: we multiply by dividing. The art of writing books is not diminished by writing two books rather it is enhanced. Likewise the carpenter’s skills do not vanish by making two doors rather they are improved. We multiply by dividing.

There is a man who said to his companion, "I dreamt receiving from your generous hands 100 dollars.  I was very happy.  Please don’t spoil my dream and my day, give me the $ 100 note.” His friend replied, “The $ 100 note I gave you in the dream keep it. That is my contribution.” The man was not generous.  Make the word “generous” be your middle name. Give till it hurts.

Counter

You are visitor since April'08